04 Mar Resori Shermila Paulraj
Work location: Boldre, Hampshire
Job title: Occupational Therapist
Company: Cambian Group- Hill House School
Degree : MSc occupational Therapy
After I completed my course I joined as a paediatric occupational therapist (volunteer) at Hillington Hospital to gain UK experience. I completed my voluntary work and then started to look for other jobs.
What my job involves
- Provide comprehensive and efficient assessments of children with severe learning disabilities and autism
- Individually assess patients using sensory profile, Beery VMI, Good enough DAP etc…
- Plan and conduct sensory integration blocks for children with sensory needs and plan sensory diet with other therapists
- Conduct group therapy to enhance fine motor skills and gross motor skills of children.
- Write up notes and present case studies to multidisciplinary teams
What I did to get the job
- Collected information on all the Healthcare agencies in the UK ( HCL, Real Healthcare etc…)
- Registered my details with them, kept updating my resume every two weeks and did follow up
- My current employer considered my UK experience and offered me the job.
What I gained from the UK experience
Used to work just 4 hours on Saturdays every week. Assisted a child with autism to play in the park. I concentrated only in my studies and refused to take up any part time job apart from this even though the agency I worked for offered extra hours. After submitting my dissertation, I joined Hillington Hospital for 3 months and worked as an OT volunteer I learned a lot from my seniors and head OT. I learned how to write notes, how to asses children using standardised assessments. I made many friends while working on my dissertation at the postgraduate study room. Some of my friends guided me how to apply for post study work visa. I have learned a lot from the course and the training. During the course I chose both my main modules in paediatrics. My employers were impressed with the course information I provided in the interview. The modules were OT for children, adolescents and families and managing challenging behaviours. Now I am working for a school where I am practically implementing my theoretical knowledge I gained from both the modules.
My top tips for international students
- Try to update your skills by undertaking all the relevant courses eg there are many online courses available some free and update your resume after every course you take.